May 1, 2010

A Vintage window transforms to a cup and plate holder

This is linked to the Country Chic Cottage See all of the window transformations! 


I had a huge empty wall in my kitchen just before you go out the back door to the garage (The fact that I had a huge wall anywhere is surprising because of my little house) I needed some where to display my heirloom cups, saucers, and Salt and pepper shakers my mother had given me from her collection.  Most importantly I needed a mirror to take a quick look before I headed out the door.  Have you ever taken one last look and realized you didn't comb your hair or put your make up on?  One time I had put on my favorite suit, I loved it because the jacket and skirt were a silky light fabric.  I grabbed my purse and keys and thought I would take that one last peek as I headed out the door for my sales job.  OMG the skirt was silky all right I had put on my slip , but forgot to put the skirt on?  

Here is what I came up with for the big empty wall to meet all of my needs



I got the window for $15.00 at an antique fair then I screwed a board to bottom for a shelf




I put coat hooks to hang the cups




I found this mirror, I think it was the front of an old bathroom vanity cabinet.  I screwed it right into the  window frame and then added a couple of cabinet knobs for interest.




Now to mount the plates I put 2 little finishing nails in the window frame




Behind the plates I used this removable blue, I call it booger stuff, what is it?




So, there you have it, It is right by the door that slams and it does not budge.  I have no worry about anything falling off, it is really solid.




I hope I have inspired you to stretch your imagination.  you can do more with that vintage window, you can make it useful.

"Imagination is the highest kite one can fly"
Lauren Bacall

Happy Crafting!
Carol

13 comments:

wherewomencreate said...

You are right ... I do enjoy your blog very much! In fact, I am asking for a Dremel Tool kit like yours for my birthday ... happy birthday to me!!

I also love your mosaic flower ideas....I have some items that were mothers that are broken and I think I will make something out of them like you have!

Thank you for the invitation!
My best
Jo Packham
Where Women Create

MAMMAW LILLIAN said...

You are so talented. I love looking at your items you make. Crafting is always so much fun, isn't it.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Carol, your shelf is wonderful! Thanks so much for stopping by and introducing yourself! Glad I am following you.

Happy blogging!!
Becky

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

This is such a great piece! You did a fantastic job and I especially like that you were able to hang tea cups on this!
Debbie

Cathy said...

Hi Carol,

Great job on the window. I have one in my Guest bedroom. It looks really cute. I just love yours too.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and voting for me and following me.

Have a wonderful Sunday afternoon.

Cathy

annieg said...

I love this idea. Thanks, Carol!!

Jacalyn @ rmebathproducts.com said...

Oh my gosh Carol, that is absolutely fabulous! I am now following you too so I can come back and learn so much more! Thanks for posting!

Hugs from your SLS sister,
Jacalyn

Unknown said...

How smart! I have tons of old windows... I might give this one a try!

Stacey said...

How cute! I just love old window frames.

Cottage Rose said...

OH I am having fun going back to all your old post,,, I love this old window idea you had,, it looks so pretty... and good thing you took that last look before you left,,,,,I just had to laugh,,, no skirt....lol,,,,, you are cracking me up..

Hugs;
Alaura

My Cottage Charm said...

Sticky Tack...that's what the blue stuff is called. :) I have some, but mine is white.
I have a post where I re-did a window too. :) I think we're quite alike!
blessings
Melissa

Unknown said...

That is really clever! I've seen lots of window projects, but nothing quite as unique as this. Good job!!!

Nancy

Angie Holden said...

Wow love what you did with that window! Thanks for linking up!!