March 25, 2011

A Polka Dot Serving Tray


The Polka Dot Closet makes a polka dot serving tray!!


Living in Orlando I do a lot of outside entertaining.  I am always loading food onto my ugly brown tray to bring out to the patio.
So, time for a transformation

First I spray painted the outside of the tray and picked my colors.


I painted circles and then covered a few with contact paper cut into circles.  The contact paper provides a nice tight seal.


 I painted a different color around the outside of the white contact paper circles


This is what it looked like when I took the contact paper circles off

Now it was time to cover all of the circles with contact paper circles


Then spray paint the whole tray with heirloom white paint


I coated it 3 times with Wipe on poly acrylic by Minwax.  I love this stuff, you just pour some onto a rag and wipe it on, it is wonderful, I use it on furniture also.  There is no streaking or brushes to clean up and it gives a wonderful finish.


All Finished


The perfect tray needs the perfect napkins



As long as you're here jump to my last post and sign up for my giveaway


Any Apron you Choose, no need to be a follower!

I am so excited to be linking up to Debbie Doo's Color My World Party, My inspiration for the tray...I don't usually do projects with a lot of color, but I didn't want to miss a great party!!!

Gotta go Monica has my drink ready!!  
She's such a dear!

Carol

23 comments:

Scarlett said...

Love it - always a fan of dots :o) Scarlett x

Kathy@ Gone North said...

That is SOooo cute!!
Thanks for sharing the How - to

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Carol,
Love that sweet tray and that vintage pic cracked me up!! LOL!!
Yep, That's the apron I would love to win!!

Hugs,
Deb

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

So adorable! And I love the cute mommy martini picture!!!

Debbiedoos said...

Awww...that my friend is adorable. I will say the first couple of pics I was thinking, Carol what happened this tray is a mess...I was so pleased to see the end result!~ FUN! I would love to have a Martini with you.
Prince was AWESOME..a little sluggish I am today.
Thank you Carol for joining the spray pain party.

Anonymous said...

WOW!,that's really great how you did that, I use alot of painters tape, this gives me a great idea,thanks for sharing, I love this tray.
~JO
LazyonLoblolly

Annesphamily said...

That tray is a real treat! I love polka dots and you are a favorite that I have not seen in a long while! Happy weekend! Love and Hugs Anne

Grannys Attic said...

WOW that is so pretty! Thanks for the step by step how too's. My grand daughter loves any kind of dots. Blessings, Vicky

Susan Freeman said...

What a fun tray ~ love, love, love it! And yes, a Martini would be great a bit later today!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This really turned out cute! Great job! **Linda

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

That turned out so adorable! I love the colors you chose. And please do have my martini ready later about 4:00 would be just fine. :)

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Your tray is Polka Dot PERFECT!!!

Pam Kessler said...

OK, that is one cute tray. Thanks for the tutorial because I had no idea how you got those circles to look so good!

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

Love the polka dot tray! The Dollar Tree close by me has wall vinyl stickers just like that...I thinkI will make one and try and use those . :)

Thanks for the inspiration!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Well, since you are the Polka Dot Closet, then polka dots on a tray seems like a great idea! I love it and love the way you created the dots.
It's very festive and party pretty!
You amaze me with your creative ideas and great sense of humor. Love the black and white clipping.
I'll have a vodka martini straight up with an olive! LOL!

Has the lonely table. Mine finally sold after I marked it down to practically nothing! LOL!

hugs
Sissie

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Next time I'm in FL...we'll have to sit on your patio! I think the polka dot tray is you ~ Happy!
Have a great weekend...
warmly,
deb

Createology said...

Love your tray. You make it look so easy. I would have completely made it a nightmare trying to paint perfect circles. :o) Happy weekend...

Anonymous said...

fun! :)

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Love your tray! What did you use to cut your circles out of the contact paper? I'm coming over from Debbies's spray paint party. This is my first time to your blog. I'm now a follower.
http://cottageatthecrossroads.com

Debbie said...

It's perfect, especially from Polka dotted you. Making some festive trays happens to be on my own to do list.

Don't know when I'll get it "to done" though.

Anonymous said...

My feeble mind never would have figured out your easy method had you not told us Carol how you did it. I am dumb like that. :) The tray is adorable and I do hope you will use it when I visit. xo

Ricki Treleaven said...

Your tray is too, too cute!!! :D I also painted trays for Debbiedoo's, but I messed up, and my husband had to fix my mess!!!

the old white house said...

That is adorable, love the dots! It looks perfect for spring and summer outdoor dinners! The Monica card cracks me up, I've seen it before and it never fails to make me laugh! I just read your clay tags post too, Ive been wanting to make some, thanks for the inspiration... again! xoxo