November 13, 2010

Embossed Velvet Gifts

Have you tried this?  Embossing velvet is so easy, no skills needed!  If you can iron, you can emboss. 


This was so fun!  I love a new craft that does not require a lot of equipment.

The only thing you need is velvet.  I use any blend, velveteen or crinkled velvet will not work.  I got my velvet at JoAnnes I think it was 100% polyester.  There are tons of tutorials online, this is the cliff notes.

Pick your rubber stamp, the simpler the pattern the better.


These intricate patterns don't work.


Turn your stamp face up on a hard surface.  I find the ironing board is to soft and I can't press hard enough.  Then put the fuzzy side down on the stamp.


Heat your iron to cotton or linen and press it on top of the velvet.  Use the part of the iron that does not have holes or you will get that impression.

Doesn't everyone iron outdoors!!
It takes about 45 seconds, but leaving longer won't hurt.  I carefully check and know it is ready when I can see the impression of the stamp on the back of the fabric.

You will need a little practice to see which stamp works best and how long to iron it.


The gift of a candle holder



A bag for coffee, candy, gifts.  I like the velvet and burlap together, soft and hard.


A gift bag


So, there you have it


I am sure a lot of you have tried this, but some times a reminder gets your wheels turning again.  It could be used in ornaments, Christmas pillow, scarves.........I see your creative brains are cranking.

I have been inspired by so many great Holiday ideas on all of your blogs, I have been bookmarking like crazy!  It seems these great ideas just fly out of my head if I don't save them.

Happy Creating! 

Have I told you lately how much I appreciate your comments?  I really do!!

Carol





23 comments:

ShabbyESP said...

What a sweeeeeet idea!!!!
Thank you for sharing!
~Suzann~

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Carol,
I tried it once...I love the ideas you came up with! Sweet little gift bags and such!
Lots of snow today...over 8 inches and we even went to a couple of estate sales...the roads weren't very good that early in the AM!
It's a great night to have a fire in the fireplace and snuggle with the pups! Sweet Pea loves the snow..it's so deep that she has to "leap" to get around.
Warmly,
deb :)

Rebecca Nelson said...

Girlfriend you do it up GREAT! WWWWWOWZERS!

Yes...my hubby is going back to school in January. He is very, very excited and I'm thrilled for him. In one year he'll finally have that elusive degree in hand!

Thank you for remembering.
Thank you for stopping by.
Thank you for the inspiration!

xoRebecca

Sherry said...

Thanks for sharing this great idea. I have some scraps of velvet, it would be a fun project to try. I will post something on my blog if I get to it soon and let you know. I looked at your booth, what a fun place to shop.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Oh wow how cute and easy! Love this and thanks for sharing. We non-crafty girls really need some easy crafts to try!

La said...

These turned out beautifully. Thanks for the tutorial. La

Mari said...

HELLO,

I HAVE SEEN THIS BEFORE...HUMMMMM JUST CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE!!! I LOVE THE WAY YOURS TURNED OUT!!! VERY, VERY PRETTY :) MAKES GREAT GIFT GIVING :)

Unknown said...

Hi Carol! I LOL about your bookmarking because I've been doing the same thing finding all this creativity on all the blogs! I LOVE the candle holders!!! Soooo pretty. Happy PS
Roselle
P.S. What did your handsome son say about all the comments about his handsome mug? LOL

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reminder Carol, love it! Hugs, Marilou

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I have never done this. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

Beautiful! What a great idea! I can't wait to try this! :)

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Carol,
These are so cute. I think I'll borrow your idea and make some tags.

hugs
Sissie

Anonymous said...

They are so elegant Carol. I made scarves years ago as Christmas gifts for my sisters. I used a deep brown velvet and they turned out so pretty.

June said...

Carol these turned out so beautiful. I adore those wrapped candles. I think this is something I will have to try!
Thank you for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment.
hugs

Bring Pretty Back said...

This is a project I can actually do!!! Love it! Thank you for sharing this!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Denise said...

I have kept over the years a few of my daughters velvet scarves they wore to the proms in h.s. Nobody has ever used them because of being outdated but now I've got to do something with them.I'm excited,Thank you for the idea of SCARVES

Jane said...

This was a great reminder post. I tried this some years back and had forgotten all about it! It is a simple project and yields such beautiful results!
Thanks.
Jane

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Wow Carol you are such a whiz and a wonder! You always come up with the most lovely and inexpensive ideas and then generously share them all with us! I think you should have your own show on PBS! :)
Tina xo

Gracefully Vintage said...

Thank You for the Encouraging COmment..
I LOVE your idea. Those are amazing.. What cute gifts and so one of kind.. in which i love..
xoxokarryann

. said...

Oh my!! I LOVE this!!

I must be behind, because I've never seen this done!

I have a new fleur de li stamp and gorgeous peace of grayish blue velvet I picked up a yard sale recently! I'm going to try it!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Oh gosh what was the name of that gal .. I think she started with potato...WAIT that's it Hot Potatoes LOL... she has a website HotPotatoes.com of course, used to be on a lot of craft shows.This is a great thing to do and thank you for the reminder.

Debbiedoos said...

Fantastic Carol, and yes I can iron!!~ I may try this sometime. And yes of course you should get an old victorian picture of a cute little girl...we can name her:)

Debbie said...

Seriously??? I would never have thought of this. I learn the neatest things on this blog. I'm going to have to try this now. This is really a fabulous discovery for me.